TimeStorm Communications is a writing services firm that grew out of a prickly situation known as the Great Recession.
I had a job I really liked. I used to joke that the only way I’d leave it is if I were carried out in a box. My colleagues were lovely, my supervisor took us to See’s Candies for “team building” exercises, and the pay and benefits were pretty good, too.
Then I got laid off.
Two weeks later, I received the first of two awards for my work on the corporation’s website. The first came from the Web Marketing Association and the second from the company itself.
I got a lot of really nice messages on LinkedIn from colleagues. Many of them only knew me through a newsletter I created that had been circulating throughout the company.
I got laid off and started receiving writing awards!
Although we were in the middle of a recession, I knew there was still a need for people who can produce solid web content and other writing services. I created this firm to do just this. I help businesses reach customers who are looking for their specific products and services by emphasizing the features that make them stand out from the crowd.
Today’s Web Content Needs More Than Great Writing
The content you have on your website and in your blogs and articles may be well-written, but not terribly effective. That’s because it hasn’t been optimized to get attention from your target audience.
I’m talking about SEO, which makes web content more effective. People who say they specialize in SEO may not even be writers, but they know how to customize good writing to maximize its impact. I’m one of those who can do both for you: I can write, and I can optimize.
- I write in the active sense, which makes content easier to read and digest. Here’s a great explanation about active vs. passive voice in writing from the University of Wisconsin.
- I arrange content to make it easier to see on mobile. Most people today read on their smartphones. Long paragraphs and sentences don’t work on the small screen. It’s easier to see and read content with a lot of white space around it.
- I produce usable content. Instead of obsessing over keywords, I think about what your potential customers are asking for. Google is looking for useful content that answers the questions typed in.
Before I do any writing, I’ll interview you for insights into what makes your business stand out and how customers have been finding you. This process provides important clues to keywords and similar search words customers might use to find your products and services.
My Writing Services Will Help You Stay on Message!
You’re probably marketing to customers through a lot of venues:
- Social media (Twitter, Facebook business page, LinkedIn, Pinterest)
- Sell sheets
- Traditional media (TV/radio, newspaper/trade press ads)
- Trade shows
With all these outlets, you can hardly be blamed if signals get mixed. I can help you stay on message. I’ll check to make sure all your marketing efforts carry a call-to-action and include contact information.
Of course your messaging will change over time as you introduce new products and services. But you still want to keep a core message about your business. This is why “Ace is the Place” and “finger-lickin’ good!” are still current messages. (Here’s a fun read on famous corporate mottos.)
Got a question for me? Email me and I’ll get back to you ASAP.